With the Sweet Sixteen starting tonight, we are sure to see some fantastic finishes. Along with those great finishes come legendary calls that will echo in our minds for sports eternity. Costas, Packer, Scully. These are the greats we associate with the great moments in sports history.
On the complete opposite end of the spectrum is Brian Collins, also known as “The Dynamite Kid” (not to be confused with the second half of the 80s wrestling tandem, The British Bulldogs…easy mistake I know). I would hate to see him trying to order chinese food over the phone.
I’m sure you’ve all seen the clip, so pay attention to the following for some extra entertainment:
- 0:20 – Collins realizes the train has come off the tracks and lets us know we’re in for a treat with the simplest of phrases: “Oh no.”
- 0:44 – 1:00 – Collins going with the “less is more” approach, uttering nothing but a few stutters and moans for 16 seconds.
- 2:16 – After finally seeing a player that he recognizes, Collins gives us the generic, “Reggie Miller lookin’ good”.
- 2:25 – The now-legendary catchphrase spoken for the first time: “Passes it to the man, shoots it…and boom goes the dynamite.”
- 3:05 – Collins pronounces “Wayne Simien” as “Wayne Summers”. Of all the things that go wrong for some reason I find this one the funniest.